Leonardo da Vinci arrived in Amboise in 1516 after a long journey from the north of the Italian peninsula.

He had left Milan to join the court of the young King François Ier. The sovereign had made strenuous efforts to convince the artist to accept his invitation. François made the Manoir du Cloux (today known as Clos Lucé) available to Leonardo da Vinci, with staff and a comfortable income (accounts refer to 700 gold sovereigns annually, a considerable sum).

An artist famous across borders 

It must be said that Leonardo da Vinci’s reputation was already known far beyond Italian cities. His works inspired admiration and his work in science, civil engineering, the art of warfare, and music… met with widespread enthusiasm. For the king of France, he was, therefore, a ‘recruit’ of choice for the prestige of his court. His predecessor, Louis XII, had already started negotiations with Leonardo da Vinci… in vain. 

An opportunity to be seized 

Why did François succeed where Louis had failed? Quite simply, because in the interim, Leonardo’s circumstances had significantly shifted. Without his last patron, who had just died, hardly appreciated by the great purveyor of commissions that was the Pope and shaken by competition from new artists (Michelangelo, Raphael)… Leonardo, at the age of 64, needed to safeguard his future. Therefore, he could not refuse the French offer. 

Destination Amboise 

In 1516, the artist joined the French court, which was then installed at the Royal Château of Amboise, a château that François Ier particularly favoured because he had spent a large part of his childhood there. Therefore, it was no coincidence that he chose to install Leonardo a few hundred metres away, in close proximity, at Clos Lucé. It is more than likely that the master was solemnly presented to the court members in one of the château’s staterooms with the excitement we can well imagine. 

Leonardo da Vinci spent the last three years of his life in Amboise, in the king’s service. He died on 2nd May 1519 in his manor, Clos Lucé, and according to his wishes, he was buried at the Royal Château of Amboise. 

 

Reopening of the Saint-Hubert chapel to the public on June 16th, 2024
18Days 08Hours 06Minutes 03Secondes

 

After nearly three years of work, the Saint-Hubert chapel which houses the tomb of Leonardo da Vinci will once again be fully revealed to visitors from June 16th

 

EXCEPTIONAL CLOSURE OF THE CHÂTEAU ON JUNE 15TH FROM 1 P.M.

 

Home

×